Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tea, Cake and Rain

Never apologise!
That's the advice given on one of those "How to blog" blogs. But I feel I should apologise. My blogposts have been irregular, to say the least, this year. That being said, I'd just like to thank anyone who takes the time to comment, I really appreciate and enjoy reading them. One of the things I love to do in my (now rare and precious) free time is to look at your blogs, going back through your posts and photos - it really is a treat.

In any case, what have we been up to over here? Well, my sister, her husband and their five - count them: five - children came to visit. When they left Ireland, the weather was miserable there and wonderful here; as soon as they arrived here, their meteorological fortunes were reversed. Germany saw the wettest May on record, while the sun split the heavens in Ireland. Over here, in Bavaria, dams burst and rivers flooded:



So we had no choice but to hunker down and get cosy.
 We did daily trips to the playground, where we I mean, the children built sandcastles and ate ice-cream. Often in the rain - but we're Irish, so most things we do outdoors are in the rain anyway. We are fearless! (Or foolhardy - take your pick.)


My sister Emily and I went shopping, finding a shop that we both put on our "Things to Buy When We Win The Lottery" list - no, not a cup or two or twenty. The ENTIRE shop. All of it.




Inspired by these visions of fine dining and (more to the point) commissioned by a local yarn shop ("Y'know those donuts you made? Can you make some more?") I started making crocheted baked goods. And just in case you feel like a virtual snack, here's the pattern for the cupcakes and here's the pattern for the donuts!

This is my Fancy China. It normally resides in a cupboard, while I use bucket-like mugs from the
99c shop, which sadly don't photograph quite as well. While here, Emily and I discussed our nefarious Blogging Lies,
wherein we take nice photos that belie the fact that we are both extraordinarily untidy people,
coming to the conclusion that no one wants to see the mountain of clutter that constitutes
our real lives. Instead, we will show you our pretty porcelain and relatively uncluttered
work surfaces and we shall all pretend that this is our general reality, as opposed to our
(Op)Posed Reality. Please play along.

7 comments:

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Welcome back!!!!! You've been missed...here the school year is almost over..and I am so looking forward to the summer...

Paula said...

I'm not a great shopper, but I wouldn't mind spending sometime in that shop. The china looks so pretty and colourful, it must be hard to resist.

Emily said...

I remain happy to be a nefarious Blogging Liar. It allows me to live happily in my little bubble of loveliness :-) We have eaten ice cream every day since our return... In your honour.

Ann said...

I love the shop with the tea cups. I want it all, too.

Karen said...

So glad you were able to have a fun visit with Emily!

blessings
Karen

jemilyea said...

De-lurking to say I agree with the advice to not apologize. I'm grateful for when people do post; I don't pay much attention to how often or what schedule they keep (or don't keep). I don't remember how long I've been reading your blog, but I really enjoy your writing style and glimpses into life in other countries than mine.

Jay said...

No apologies needed, life is busy! I think I may need to chip in when you buy that shop, it looks right up my street - I still play tea parties with my best china, but only when the kids are out of the way!